From Lafayette Utilities System
Lafayette, LA (February 12, 2021) – With temperatures predicted to drop below freezing in Lafayette, now is a good time to prepare your home to prevent frozen pipes and water damage.
Garrison Harrison, LUS Conservation Specialist, has these tips for protecting your home during extremely cold weather:
- Wrap exposed pipes outside and underneath home (if above ground) with insulation.
- Cover outdoor faucets.
- Disconnect and drain any outside water hoses.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors under sinks, especially if along an outside wall, to allow heat to circulate around uninsulated pipes.
- Maintain a home temperature no lower than 55 degrees.
- Be mindful and protect any water pipes that run throughout the attic.
- If away from home, it is suggested, to cut-off water at home shut-off valve and drain pipes.
If you do experience a frozen pipe:
- Do not attempt to thaw pipes with a torch or flame!
- Thaw pipes with heat from a hair dryer or hot water.
- Inspect pipes after thawing for any leaks.
- Monitor your home’s water usage after the freeze for the next 5 days with your LUS online account for signs of a possible leak.
- If a pipe does burst, shut off the main water valve or call LUS at (337) 291-5700. Contact a plumber to repair the pipe.
With temperatures below freezing there is a greater potential for water leaks and damage, if you do experience a burst pipe or have water issues, please call LUS at (337) 291-5700.